While on Pinterest, I came across this Cinnamon Chocolate Babka. Sunday was spent trying the recipe on this website, which failed due to something to do with my yeast… The chickens enjoyed their buttery sweet bread, but I saved the chocolate for a dough that I knew would work!
I’m not sure why I didn’t use that same recipe now that I have new yeast, but I think it was that my Edmonds book was on the bench and I saw the Chelsea Buns recipe sitting there. If you have a sweet bread recipe you love, use that. I’m not very experienced with bread making much, and don’t do it often because the yeast smell puts me off.
Cinnamon Chocolate Buns
1/4 C warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dried yeast
3 C high grade flour
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
3/4 C warm milk
60g melted butter
120g chocolate, chopped
50g butter, chopped
1. Stir first measure of sugar into warm water. Sprinkle yeast on the top and leave for 10mins until frothy.
2. In a bowl, place flour, salt and sugar. Add in milk, melted butter and yeast mixture. Mix to combine and knead for 5 mins.
3. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and place somewhere warm until doubled in size (I left mine for about 40mins
4. Punch down dough, then roll out to a 25 x 30cm rectangle
5. Sprinkly dough with cinnamon ( to taste), then spread with chocolate and butter. Roll from the long edge, then cut into rolls.
6. Place rolls in a baking tin, cover, and allow to rise for a further 30 mins. Bake at 190C until browned – about 25mins.
Delicious fresh from the oven or when cool!