For some reason this week, I’ve decided to dive head first into the world of brownies. Oh how I have some delicious recipes up my sleeve! The first one I decided to try was a blondie with oreos and m&ms (incase over half a block of butter wasn’t bad enough!). This turned out differently than I expected, and the recipe isn’t one I would call a brownie… it’s more like a browned butter cookie – hence this becoming a brown butter cookie bar recipe.
You could swap out the oreos and m&ms with anything you want, even chocolate chips if you have nothing else. Brown butter is amazing in anything, so while you can make this by just melting the butter, it’s worth taking a few extra minutes to brown it up and make your house smell heavenly!
Brown Butter Cookie Bars with m&ms and Oreos
Adapted from The Newlywed Kitchen
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 bag mini M&Ms
16 Oreos (chopped)
1. Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Continue cooking for a few extra minutes until it turns brown and becomes frothy on top. Your kitchen will go from smelling like popcorn to smelling nutty, trust your nose! Allow to cool to warm.
2. Add in sugars and vanilla and stir, then beat in both eggs until smooth.
3. Mix in flour until just combined
4. Add in your bag of mini m&ms and chopped oreos, then mix until evenly distributed.
5. Press into a lined tin of approx 20 x 40cm and bake for 25mins at 180C. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little, cutting into 24 squares while warm.
6. Try not to eat more than one a time, lest you get a stomach ache.